APRIL 9 - This is a YELLOW workout by Shaun Stephens-Whale
Shaun has given us a great video description of this workout. We will have that posted on our Facebook. As you can tell from the title, this is more than just running. Shaun is one of Canada's best Obstacle Course racers, hence an OCR style workout.
Burpees are one of the best full body workouts available, developing upper body, core and lower body. Running after performing burpees is challenging, with disparate muscle groups used in the two activities expect to feel sluggish when transitioning back to the run. With work, the body will adapt to running under this fatigue – which for obstacle course racing is exactly what you want!
These intervals should not kill you, this is a YELLOW workout. You should feel strong and quick, and be breathing hard but controlled. The RPE (rate of perceived exertion) for the running portion of they one should be 5/10, anddefinitely pace yourself on the burpees!
Workout: (done on a flat stretch that takes 1 minute to run...grass would be great)
- 20:00 easy jog (with optional strides afterwards to extend the warm up)
- Run 1:00 Steady and controlled (5/10 effort)
- Then immediately do 1:00 worth of burpees
- Repeat that 2:00 block (run&burpees) 10 times, with no rest
- Be constant throughout the 10 rounds: run the same distance, and complete the same number of burpees each round.