April Run Challenge - Week 4 Workouts
APRIL 23 - This is a PURPLE challenge by Solana Green
|This one should be super simple. You're going to spell your name in Sprints. You get to recover/rest for the exact same amount of time you sprinted for, after each letter. Easy peasy.
Obviously, you're going to want to do the trusty old warm-up before attempting your sprints, and of course a cool-down jog as well.
Oh, and if you're looking for a real challenge, pretend your name is MIKE MURPHY - you're welcome Mike :)
APRIL 25 - This is a YELLOW workout by Christy Drever
Light Intervals for Sharpening
Christy has given us a very adaptable workout for today - One could easily change some of the parameters, making the workout either a bit harder, or a bit easier. For today though, we are going to keep it on the easy side, and save out legs for the red workout in a couple days.
This is a YELLOW workout. You should feel strong and quick, and be breathing hard but controlled.
Workout: do 2 sets of the following, with 5:00 jog between
- 20:00 easy jog (I mean jog...RPE 2)
- 8 - 10 quick strides
- 6 x (1:00 Hard, with 2:00 jog recovery)
- the 1:00 Hard should be RPE 7...strong, but not killing you for the minute
- the 2:00 recovery is a light run at your Base pace. It is the long recovery here which makes this a Yellow workout!
APRIL 27 - This is a RED workout by Eric Carter
Bread and Butter Intervals
Eric is bang on...this type of interval workout is a core piece of the puzzle when preparing for races that are between 30 and 90 minutes long. I use a similar variation quite often, and these will definitely help to ramp up your top end.
Find yourself a medium grade hill. It should be steep enough that you have to work to run up it, but not too steep that you need to hike any of it. This is Hard running. Each interval is 5 minutes long...all UPHILL.
Workout: (I would suggest that 4 intervals for most people is enough. 5 if you are advanced)
- 20:00 easy jog
- 8 - 10 strides
- 4 x (5:00 Hard uphill, then jog downhill back to the start)
- These are hard uphill efforts - RPE 7/8
- After 5:00 of hard uphill, immediately turn and jog slowly downhill back to the start
- You should easily get back to the start in under 5 minutes. If not, then your hill is not steep enough