The Stawamus Chief trail; Sea to Summit trail; Spearhead Traverse; Tantalus Traverse; Garibaldi Neve Traverse; all iconic local objectives in their own light, some usually taking days to complete. Now imagine doing some of those in mere hours. Imagine what it takes to run up the Chief in 17 minutes and 35 seconds.
Meet Nick Elson, the fastest man you've never heard of. He is quite likely one of the most humble athletes around. Before most of us have started our second cup of coffee, Nick has probably run up the Sea to Summit trail, summited Sky Pilot, and will be back in time to join you for said coffee.
An Evening with Nick Elson
We are extremely excited to host an evening at the shop with our friend, and Squamish local, Nick Elson. He is the 2015 & 2016 Canadian mountain running champion, 2× winner of the Squamish 50 Ultra, and he most recently set the Fastest Known Time (FKT) for the Teton Grand Traverse (Jackson Hole, Wyoming).
To say that Nick is adept at running, scrambling, and climbing technical mountain terrain would be an understatement. We are proud to have him come in and present us with some of his highlights from the last couple seasons, and fill us in on his goals and objectives for the upcoming year. What better way to kick off the new year and get inspired for some lofty goals than spending an evening with the 2016 Canadian Trail Runner of the Year?
A short list of some of Nick's recent highlights, just to set the tone:
- Canadian Mountain Running Champion (2015 & 2016)
- Canadian Trail Runner of the Year (2016)
- Winner of the Grouse Grind Vertical race
- Ascent record holder for both the Chief and Sea to Summit trail
- Second place finisher in the Alaskan Mount Marathon (one of the toughest vertical races in the world)
- Single-day ascent of the North Face of Eiger in Switzerland and El Capitan (the Nose route) in Yosemite
- Took down the 16-year old Teton Grand Traverse record, setting the new mark to 6 hours and 30 mins (this is kind of a big deal)
Saturday, January 28
6:15 pm: Doors open
6:30 pm: Nick's Presentation
7:15 pm: Q & A
Tickets are $5, and seating is limited so don't delay.